This is OK, but the best salsa is very simple, made with fresh tomatos, chopped, garlic, onion, sea salt peppers (jalapeno & banana),a smidge of sugar, cider vinegar (easy on the vinegar)& fresh Cilantro.
Roasted Tomato and Three-Chile Salsa
Time: 1 1/4 hours. The layers of deep flavor come from roasted vegetables and pan-toasted chiles.
This recipe goes with Beef or Lamb Burgers with Roasted Tomato and Three Chile Salsa, Smoky Huevos Rancheros with Roasted Tomato and Three Chile Salsa, Mexican Steak Salad with Roasted Tomato and Three Chile Salsa
More From Sunset
- Calories: 43
- Calories from fat: 63%
- Protein: 0.7g
- Fat: 3g
- Saturated fat: 0.4g
- Carbohydrate: 4.3g
- Fiber: 1g
- Sodium: 205mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 2 medium firm-ripe tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, cut crosswise in 4 slices
- 5 unpeeled garlic cloves
- 10 dried cascabel chiles*
- 10 dried arbol chiles*, stems removed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 canned chipotle chile in adobo sauce*
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- About 1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1. Preheat broiler and set a rack 3 in. from heating element. Line a large rimmed baking pan with foil and put tomatoes, onion, and garlic in it. Broil the vegetables, turning as needed, until browned in spots all over, 15 to 20 minutes; transfer to a bowl as done. Let cool.
- 2. Meanwhile, wipe dried chiles clean with a damp cloth. Pull out and discard seeds and stems from cascabels (break chiles open a bit if needed). Turn on fan over stove. Heat olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat, add cascabel and arbol chiles, and cook, turning often with a slotted spoon, until slightly softened and darkened in spots, 1 to 2 minutes.
- 3. Reserving oil in pan, transfer chiles to a small, deep bowl and pour 2 cups boiling water on top. Let stand until chiles are softened, about 20 minutes. Discard 1 cup liquid.
- 4. Whirl chiles and remaining liquid with chipotle in a food processor until very smooth. Cut tomatoes and onion into chunks. Peel garlic. Add vegetables to chile purée and pulse until nearly smooth.
- 5. Reheat oil in pan over medium-high heat. Add chile mixture and bring to a simmer, stirring. Cook, stirring, for about 3 minutes to blend flavors.
- 6. Pour salsa into a bowl and let cool. Stir in lemon juice and season to taste with salt.
- *Buy in your supermarket's international foods aisle or at a Latino market.
- Make ahead: Chill airtight up to 1 week.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per 1/4-cup serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Roasted Tomato and Three-Chile Salsa Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes for Appetizers