Great blend of flavoring - better than I expected.
Roasted Tomato Soup
Comfort is a simmering pot of Roasted Tomato Soup--with a side of your favorite grilled cheese sandwich. Roasting adds depth to the plum tomatoes and enhances the flavor to this favorite tomato soup.
More From Allyou
- Calories: 242
- Fat: 12g
- Saturated fat: 4g
- Protein: 9g
- Carbohydrate: 30g
- Fiber: 6g
- Cholesterol: 11mg
- Sodium: 373mg
- 4 pounds plum tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 8 cloves garlic, peeled
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- Torn fresh basil leaves, optional
- 1. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Arrange tomatoes in a single layer, cut side up, on a large baking sheet. Scatter onions, garlic and thyme around tomatoes. Sprinkle with sugar, season with salt and pepper and drizzle with oil. Roast until vegetables are soft and slightly caramelized, 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours. Discard thyme sprigs.
- 2. Warm broth in a large pan over medium heat. Add tomato mixture, scraping up browned bits from sheet. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- 3. Remove soup from heat; let cool slightly. Working in batches, puree soup in a blender. Strain soup through a sieve into clean pan, pressing on solids to extract liquid. Discard all solids.
- 4. Stir in half-and-half and reheat soup to a simmer, stirring often (do not boil). Season with salt and pepper, ladle into bowls and sprinkle with basil, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note