1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a large sheet pan with foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Place tomatoes, carrots, peppers, garlic, shallot, and onion on sheet pan. Drizzle with 1/4 cup olive oil, sprinkle with thyme, salt and pepper. Toss well and place tomatoes and peppers on pan, skin side up.
3. Place in oven and roast for 30 minutes or until skin of peppers are lightly charred. Removed from oven, cover with foil and allow to sit for 5-10 minutes until peppers are slightly cooled.
4. Use a fork to remove charred skin from peppers and tomatoes. Place all vegetables and juice from pan in food processor or blender and process until smooth. (Add some chicken stock if too thick to process).
5. Transfer mixture to pot and place over med-low heat. Add additional chicken stock to thin soup to desired consistency. Add additional salt and pepper to taste. Add chopped basil and heat for 10-15 min.
6. Remove from heat and stir in cream or half-n-half.
Go to full version of