Roasted Tomato Soup
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 99
- Calories from fat: 41%
- Protein: 3.1g
- Fat: 4.6g
- Saturated fat: 0.8g
- Carbohydrate: 14g
- Fiber: 3.3g
- Sodium: 53mg
- Cholesterol: 1.1mg
- 10 pound ripe tomatoes
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 onions (1 lb. total), chopped
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1. Rinse, core, and cut tomatoes in half crosswise.
- 2. Fit tomatoes, cut sides up, in 10- by 15-inch pans (you'll need 3, or use 1 pan and refill). Brush the tops of the tomatoes in each pan with 1 tablespoon oil and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon sugar.
- 3. One pan at a time, broil tomatoes 3 to 4 inches from heat until tops are spotted black, about 20 minutes. Adjust pan position for even heat and remove tomatoes as they are charred.
- 4. Meanwhile, in an 8- to 10-quart pan over medium-high heat, combine remaining oil, garlic, and onions. Stir often until onions are lightly browned and taste sweet, 10 to 15 minutes.
- 5. In batches, smoothly purée tomatoes and onion mixture in a blender or food processor. To remove skins, if desired, rub tomato mixture through a fine strainer into a large bowl.
- 6. Return tomato mixture to pan and add broth; heat to simmering, stirring. Add salt to taste. To serve cold, cover and refrigerate until chilled. To store, cover airtight and chill up to 3 days, or put in freezer containers in easy-to-use portions and freeze up to 1 year.
- Nutritional analysis per cup.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews