Roasted Tomato Mac and Cheese
- Cooking spray
- 5 plum tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices (about 16 slices)
- 2 tablespoons brown rice flour or all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 4 cups unsalted chicken stock
- 3 cups 1% low-fat milk, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 18 ounces brown rice elbows (such as Tinkyáda) or whole-grain pasta shells
- 4 1/2 ounces (1/2 package) frozen artichoke hearts, thawed and halved
- 6 ounces reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 3 ounces fontina cheese, shredded (about 3/4 cup)
- 2.5 ounces Parmesan cheese, grated and divided (about 10 tablespoons)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- calories 299
- fat 11.3 g
- satfat 6 g
- monofat 2.5 g
- polyfat 0.4 g
- protein 15 g
- carbohydrate 37 g
- fiber 4 g
- cholesterol 29 mg
- iron 1 mg
- sodium 489 mg
- calcium 330 mg
- sugars 5 g
- Est. Added Sugars 0 g
How to Make It
Remove top oven rack, and cover with foil; lightly coat with cooking spray. Preheat broiler to high.
Arrange tomato slices on prepared rack; lightly coat with cooking spray. Broil 8 to 10 minutes or until tomatoes are lightly browned. Transfer tomatoes to a plate; set aside.
Combine flour and butter in a bowl until a paste forms.
Place a large high-sided sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add stock, 2 cups milk, salt, and mustard, stirring with a whisk. Add pasta to pan; bring to a boil. Cook 12 minutes or until pasta is done, stirring frequently. Stir in remaining 1 cup milk and artichokes; cook 2 minutes. Add butter-flour paste, in pieces, stirring constantly to blend and thicken. Remove from heat; stir in cheddar, fontina, 6 tablespoons Parmesan, and pepper.
Arrange broiled tomato slices on top of pasta. Sprinkle with remaining 4 tablespoons Parmesan. Broil 2 minutes or until cheese begins to brown.