Roasted Tomatillo-Mango Salsa with Spiced Tortilla Chips
Chips and salsa are a classic snack combination. Skip the bottled stuff and make your own sweet-spicy salsa featuring jalapenos, mangos, tomatillos, and cilantro.
Yield: 20 servings (serving size: 1/3 cup salsa and 2 chips)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 81
- Calories from fat: 19%
- Fat: 1.7g
- Saturated fat: 0.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 2g
- Carbohydrate: 15.1g
- Fiber: 1.7g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 0.9mg
- Sodium: 259mg
- Calcium: 30mg
- 10 (6-inch) flour tortillas
- Cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh tomatillos
- 1 large jalapeÃ±o pepper
- 1 large onion, peeled and quartered
- 4 unpeeled garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups finely diced peeled mango (about 2 large)
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- To prepare chips, lightly coat tortillas with cooking spray. Combine the chili powder, cumin, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a small bowl; sprinkle evenly over tortillas. Cut each tortilla into 4 wedges. Arrange wedges in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake at 450° for 7 minutes or until crisp and golden.
- Preheat broiler.
- To prepare salsa, discard the husks and stems from tomatillos. Remove stem from jalapeño. Place tomatillos, jalapeño, onion, and garlic on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray. Broil 8 minutes or until the tomatillos and onions are lightly charred (about 8 minutes), turning once; cool.
- Peel garlic. Place garlic, tomatillos, jalapeño, onion, cilantro, lime juice, and 1 teaspoon salt in a food processor; pulse 10 times or until ingredients are coarsely chopped. Place tomatillo mixture in a large bowl; stir in mango. Serve with chips.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Roasted Tomatillo-Mango Salsa with Spiced Tortilla Chips Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Appetizers, Dips/Spreads
- CONVENIENCE: Entertaining
- CUISINE: American, Southwest
- MAIN INGREDIENT: Fruits
- DIETARY CONSIDERATION: Low Cholesterol, Low Fat, Meatless, Low Saturated Fat, Gluten-Free
- COOKING METHOD: Food Processor, Bake, Broil
- OCCASION: Autumn, Spring, Summer
- PUBLICATION: Cooking Light
More Recipes for Appetizers