Wow! What flavor!
Roasted Sweet-and-Sour Beets, Carrots, and Parsnips
Photography: Becky Luigart-Stayner; Styling: Lydia DeGaris-Pursell
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 157
- Calories from fat: 25%
- Fat: 4.4g
- Saturated fat: 0.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Protein: 2.2g
- Carbohydrate: 29.9g
- Fiber: 6.3g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 1.4mg
- Sodium: 232mg
- Calcium: 62mg
- 1 pound small beets, trimmed, peeled, and cut into wedges
- 1 pound parsnips, cut into (2-inch-thick) slices
- 1 pound carrots, cut into (2-inch-thick) slices
- Cooking spray
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds, crushed
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh or 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 12 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Fresh thyme sprigs (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Steam first 3 ingredients, covered, 5 minutes. Place in a shallow roasting pan coated with cooking spray.
- Combine syrup and vinegar; set aside.
- Squeeze juice from lemon into a bowl; add lemon halves to beet mixture. Combine juice, oil, coriander, tarragon, and 12 thyme sprigs. Pour over beet mixture; toss well. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake at 400° for 30 minutes. Pour syrup mixture over beet mixture; stir well to coat. Bake an additional 30 minutes or until beets are tender. Discard lemon halves. Garnish with additional thyme sprigs, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Roasted Sweet-and-Sour Beets, Carrots, and Parsnips Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables