I made this dish for our Cooking Light Virtual Supper Club. Here's the link- http://whistlestopcooking.blogspot.com/2011/11/cooking-light-autumn-harvest.html I thought it was a perfect Autumn Harvest dish ~ hearty and filling. . . but I confess, I missed the butter! I used cornbread stuffing and left out the currants. I'd make it again!
Roasted Squash Stuffed with Corn Bread Dressing
You can make the Maple Corn Bread and toast it ahead. Roast the squash and refrigerate it up to 2 days. All you'll have to do on Thanksgiving day is assemble the dish and bake it.
Yield: 10 servings (serving size: 1 stuffed squash half)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 398
- Calories from fat: 23%
- Fat: 10.2g
- Saturated fat: 4.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.6g
- Protein: 6.5g
- Carbohydrate: 74.2g
- Fiber: 7.7g
- Cholesterol: 16mg
- Iron: 3.8mg
- Sodium: 732mg
- Calcium: 198mg
- 7 1/2 cups (1/2-inch) cubed Maple Corn Bread
- Cooking spray
- 5 acorn squash (about 1 pound each)
- 4 cups boiling water, divided
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup dried currants
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 cup finely chopped carrot
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Arrange corn bread cubes in a single layer on a jelly roll pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 30 minutes or until corn bread is toasted, stirring twice. Set aside.
- Decrease oven temperature to 350°.
- Cut each squash in half lengthwise, and discard the seeds and membranes. Place the squash, cut sides down, in a 13 x 9-inch baking pan. Coat the squash with cooking spray. Pour 2 cups of boiling water over squash. Cover and bake at 350° for 20 minutes. Remove the squash from pan.
- Place cranberries, currants, and 2 cups boiling water in a bowl. Cover and let stand 30 minutes. Drain.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion; saute 5 minutes. Add celery, carrot, sage, and garlic; saute 3 minutes.
- Combine toasted corn bread cubes, cranberry mixture, onion mixture, broth, and remaining ingredients in a bowl, tossing to coat.
- Spoon about 1 1/2 cups dressing mixture into each squash half. Place the squash halves in pan, cut sides up.
- Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until the tip of a knife pierces squash easily.
- Totals include Maple Corn Bread.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Roasted Squash Stuffed with Corn Bread Dressing Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables