We thought this recipe was okay, but not worth all the work. It was a little too sweet for our tastes. I did substitute yellow onions for the shallots and sour cream for the creme fraiche, and omitted the garlic. The casserole was huge and the many leftovers are not in demand.
Roasted Shallot and Butternut Squash Pasta
Prepare the squash up to three days in advance. Cook the pasta on-site, and assemble the dish to bake.
Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 1/3 cups)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 475
- Calories from fat: 24%
- Fat: 12.7g
- Saturated fat: 4.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 6.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1g
- Protein: 15g
- Carbohydrate: 80.8g
- Fiber: 7.5g
- Cholesterol: 16mg
- Iron: 4.3mg
- Sodium: 386mg
- Calcium: 276mg
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 butternut squash, halved lengthwise and seeded (about 3 1/2 pounds)
- 8 shallots, peeled (about 1/2 pound)
- 1/3 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 2 tablespoons crÃ¨me fraÃ®che
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 12 ounces uncooked penne (tube-shaped pasta)
- 2/3 cup (about 2 1/2 ounces) shredded Asiago cheese, divided
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- To prepare squash, drizzle 1 tablespoon oil in bottom of a roasting pan. Place squash, cut sides down, and shallots in pan. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 45 minutes or until tender. Cool. Scoop pulp from squash; discard peels. Reserve 1 1/2 cups pulp. Place remaining 2 tablespoons oil, remaining pulp, shallots, and next 7 ingredients (through garlic) in a food processor; process until smooth.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350°.
- To prepare pasta, cook pasta in boiling water 7 minutes or until almost tender. Drain. Combine reserved 1 1/2 cups pulp, pureed mixture, pasta, and 1/3 cup cheese in a large bowl; stir gently. Spoon mixture into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray; cover with foil.
- Bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining 1/3 cup cheese. Bake 5 minutes or until cheese melts.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Casseroles