In order to minimize the heat in our non air-conditioned home, we made everything on the grill. A very easy dinner to put together and the horseradish cream is very tasty.
Roasted Salmon, Beets, and Potatoes with Horseradish Cream
- 1 1/2 pounds beets, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill
- Fresh-ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds baking potatoes (about 3), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless salmon fillets, about 1-inch thick, cut into 4 pieces
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons drained bottled horseradish
- 1. Heat the oven to 450°. In a large roasting pan, toss the beets with 1 tablespoon of the oil, 1/4 teaspoon of the salt, 1/4 teaspoon of the dill, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Cook in the upper third of the oven, stirring once, for 20 minutes.
- 2. Remove the pan from the oven and push the beets to one side. Add the potatoes to the pan, next to the beets, and toss them with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt. Return the pan to the oven and cook for 10 minutes. Stir the potatoes and beets, keeping them separate; return the pan to the oven.
- 3. Meanwhile, oil a baking sheet. Put the salmon on the baking sheet and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon of the salt, the remaining 1/4 teaspoon dill, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Put the pan in the oven with the vegetables (after you stir them at the end of Step 2). Cook until just done, about 10 minutes for 1-inch fillets.
- 4. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring the cream just to a simmer. Remove from the heat and whisk in the horseradish, the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, and a pinch of pepper.
- 5. Stir the beets and the potatoes together. Serve the vegetables topped with the salmon and the horseradish sauce.
- Wine Recommendation: In the Pacific Northwest, where they really know their seafood, pinot noir is the wine of choice with salmon. It should be yours, too. Try a fruity example from Oregon or California.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This