A moderate hit at Thanksgiving. Found that the sprouts, shallots & onion cooked faster than the roots-next time add them in later. Cooked way down in volume, not enough to serve 10. Made the pesto a day ahead-despite best efforts at airtight storage the top browned-just mixed it in.
Roasted Root Vegetables with Walnut Pesto
Carrots and parsnips have a slight sweetness that balances the bite of the Brussels sprouts and turnips. Toss the vegetables with fresh-tasting pesto after they roast to brighten both the flavor and color. You can prepare the pesto up to one day ahead and refrigerate it in an airtight container. If making it ahead, let the pesto stand, covered, at room temperature for about 15 minutes before tossing with the vegetable mixture.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 128
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Fat: 4.3g
- Saturated fat: 0.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.5g
- Protein: 4.3g
- Carbohydrate: 20.5g
- Fiber: 5.1g
- Cholesterol: 2mg
- Iron: 1.5mg
- Sodium: 277mg
- Calcium: 101mg
- 3 cups (1-inch-thick) slices carrot (about 1 pound)
- 3 cups (1-inch-thick) slices parsnip (about 1 pound)
- 3 cups (1-inch) cubed peeled turnip
- 3 cups trimmed halved Brussels sprouts (about 1 pound)
- 2 shallots, peeled and quartered
- 1 large onion, cut into 8 wedges
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups basil leaves
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts, toasted
- 4 teaspoons extravirgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- To prepare vegetables, place first 6 ingredients in a single layer on a jelly-roll pan coated with cooking spray. Lightly coat vegetable mixture with cooking spray. Sprinkle evenly with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper; toss. Bake at 425° for 1 hour or until browned. Transfer vegetable mixture to a large bowl.
- To prepare pesto, combine basil leaves and remaining ingredients in a food processor; process until smooth, scraping sides. Spoon basil mixture over vegetable mixture, and toss to coat.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Roasted Root Vegetables with Walnut Pesto Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes Like This