Roasted Root Vegetables
The combination of colors and flavors in these vegetables delights Foods Editor Andria Hurst; she serves the dish every year.
Yield: Makes 8 servings
- 1 (1-pound) bag parsnips
- 6 large turnips
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 1 large rutabaga
- 6 large beets
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
- Peel first 5 ingredients, and cut into large pieces. Coat 2 aluminum foil-lined baking sheets with cooking spray. Arrange parsnip, turnip, sweet potato, and rutabaga on a baking sheet. Lightly coat vegetables with cooking spray, and sprinkle with 3/4 teaspoon salt and 3/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Arrange beets on remaining baking sheet; lightly coat with cooking spray, and sprinkle with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Bake vegetables at 425°, stirring occasionally, 35 to 45 minutes or until tender. (Pans may need to be rearranged after 15 to 20 minutes to ensure even cooking.)
- Toss vegetables with melted butter.
- Note: We cooked the beets separately to keep them from bleeding into the other vegetables.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables