- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 carrots peeled and cut into small pieces
- 1 jar roasted red peppers (12 oz) drained and sliced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cans reduced sodium chicken broth (14.5 oz cans)
- 2 teaspoons basil leaves dried
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme leaves dried
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 1/2 cup smoked Gouda cheese shredded
How to Make It
Heat olive oil in a 4-quart saucepan over medium high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, 3 to 5 minutes or until tender. Add carrots, roasted red peppers, garlic, chicken broth and seasonings. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 25 to 30 minutes.
Remove from heat. Carefully use an immersion blender to purée soup. Return soup purée to saucepan; add cheese.
Cook over low heat, stirring frequently, until cheese is melted.
Cooking tip: An immersion blender is a cool little handheld stick with a rotary blade on the end to purée soup right in the pot. They're fairly inexpensive, but you can use a blender if you prefer. Just be sure to allow the soup to cool slightly and vent the top before puréeing to avoid splatters on the ceiling.