I was looking for a roasted red pepper soup recipe to use up the roasted pepper I had previously frozen and decided to go with this one after reading that it had passed the test with a woman's Italian husband (as is mine). Although my husband has not yet tasted it, I have and it is absolutely fabulous! So smooth, rich and tasty! Perfect for an end of autumn day. I modified the recipe slightly because I did not have all of the ingredients and preferred using what I had instead of going to the store: I used chicken instead of vegetable broth and milk instead of cream. Also, it took me a lot less time to make since I had already roasted the peppers. I was also able to cut down the waiting time by using a hand blender instead of a food processor. I am definitely saving this recipe!
Roasted Red Pepper Soup
More From Southern Living
Bake: 45 Minutes
Stand: 35 Minutes
- 4 pounds red bell peppers (about 8 large), halved
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 medium onions, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, finely chopped
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Sour cream
- Brush skin side of peppers with 1 tablespoon oil. Bake peppers, skin side up, on lightly greased aluminum foil-lined baking sheets at 400° for 45 minutes or until peppers look blistered.
- Place peppers in a large zip-top plastic freezer bag; seal and let stand 20 minutes. Peel peppers; remove and discard seeds.
- Sauté onions in remaining 2 tablespoons hot oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat 10 minutes or until tender; add garlic, and cook 1 more minute. Add vegetable broth and peppers, and bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat; let stand 15 minutes. Process mixture, in batches, in a food processor or blender until smooth.
- Return pureed mixture to Dutch oven; cook over medium heat 5 minutes. Stir in basil and next 3 ingredients, and cook 5 more minutes or until thoroughly heated. Stir in lemon juice. Serve with sour cream.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note