We make this every year for mother's day. It has become a tradition and people ask every year to make sure we are having it. It is a bit time consuming but so worth it. We have substituted 1/2 jarred peppers without anyone noticing.
Roasted Red Pepper Soup
More From Southern Living
Bake: 45 Minutes
Stand: 35 Minutes
- 4 pounds red bell peppers (about 8 large), halved
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 medium onions, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, finely chopped
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Sour cream
- Brush skin side of peppers with 1 tablespoon oil. Bake peppers, skin side up, on lightly greased aluminum foil-lined baking sheets at 400° for 45 minutes or until peppers look blistered.
- Place peppers in a large zip-top plastic freezer bag; seal and let stand 20 minutes. Peel peppers; remove and discard seeds.
- Sauté onions in remaining 2 tablespoons hot oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat 10 minutes or until tender; add garlic, and cook 1 more minute. Add vegetable broth and peppers, and bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat; let stand 15 minutes. Process mixture, in batches, in a food processor or blender until smooth.
- Return pureed mixture to Dutch oven; cook over medium heat 5 minutes. Stir in basil and next 3 ingredients, and cook 5 more minutes or until thoroughly heated. Stir in lemon juice. Serve with sour cream.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note