- 1 stick (1/4 lb.) unsalted butter
- 6 onions, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 (14 oz.) cans Italian plum tomatoes with their juice
- 4 (13.75 oz.) cans chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 (15 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 4 (7 oz.) jars roasted red peppers, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Pernod or other anise-flavored liqueur, optional
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, plus more for garnish
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- calories 313
- fat 20 g
- satfat 11 g
- protein 6 g
- carbohydrate 25 g
- fiber 5 g
- cholesterol 51 mg
- sodium 1 mg
How to Make It
In a Dutch oven or other large, heavy pot, melt butter over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring, until softened, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add plum tomatoes and their juice, chicken broth and crushed tomatoes; bring to a boil; then simmer for 5 minutes. Add red peppers, Pernod (if using), thyme, salt and pepper; bring to a boil; then simmer for 5 minutes longer.
In a bowl, stir together sour cream and lemon peel. Cover and refrigerate.
Strain soup into a large bowl. Puree strained solids in batches in a blender or food processor, adding soup liquid to blend. Strain again over same bowl and discard solids. Wipe out Dutch oven, add soup and bring to a simmer.
Strain soup into a serving bowl, dollop sour cream on top and garnish with thyme.