We have also been making this recipe for years - thank you for typing it into the system. We have used Trader Joe's canned roasted red peppers for convenience. We also prefer spicy chicken Italian sausage. Finally, the flavors are bold enough that we use short grain brown rice - it takes 2x the time and broth but much more nutritious and heartier for fall and winter.
Roasted Red Pepper Risotto with Italian Sausage
This recipe was originally published in Cooking Light Magazine in October 1995, but for some reason it is not in their online database.
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 4 can(s) (10 1/2 oz each) low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup(s) dry white wine
- 1/2 cup(s) finely chopped onion
- 2 large red bell peppers
- 1/2 pound(s) mild Italian sausage
- 2 teaspoon(s) olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
- 2 tablespoon(s) shaved fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 cup(s) uncooked Arborio Rice
- Cut peppers in half lengthwise; discard seeds and membranes. Place peppers, skin sides up, on a foil-lined baking sheet; flatten with hand. Broil 15 minutes or until blackened. Place peppers in a zip-top heavy-duty plastic bag and seal; let stand 15 minutes. Peel peppers; cut into 1/2-inch pieces and set aside.
- Bring chicken broth to a simmer in a medium saucepan (do not boil). Keep warm over low heat.
- Remove casings from Italian sausage and discard. Cook sausage in a large saucepan over medium-high heat until browned, stirring to crumble. Drain in a colander and set aside. Wipe drippings from pan with a paper towel.
- Heat oil in pan over medium-high heat. Add onion; saute 3 minutes. Add rice; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add wine and salt; cook 1 minute or until liquid is nearly absorbed, stirring constantly. Add warm broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly until each portion of broth is absorbed before adding the next (about 20 minutes total). Stir in roasted peppers and sausage; cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Sprinkle each serving with cheese.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by Trishia64 and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note