Let me tell you how to make a really tasty Roasted Red Pepper Hummus. First of all, ditch the jarred red bell pepper. Sure, it has bell peppers in it, but also a bunch of other chemicals that alter the true flavor. Buy a fresh red bell pepper and roast it, skin it, chop it and add to a food processor. Then add 1-2 Tbsp. of tahini, 1 garlic clove, minced; 1-2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice, 1 (19 oz.) can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained; and then a 1/4 tsp. each of black pepper, salt, cayenne and Hungarian Paprika. If you don't add paprika and cayenne that is fine, but I like it. Puree all until smooth. If too thick either add water until desired consistency or add your favorite lemon-lime soda. I use diet. I also add about a tsp. of Splenda, because I am a diabetic. You could add sugar. This offsets the lemon juice. Try this recipe and you will have a winner for sure that doesn't leave a bad taste in your mouth. Put in extra garlic, cumin curry and coriander and you'll taste it all day long!
Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
This hummus is even tastier after being refrigerated overnight.
Yield: 14 servings (serving size: 1/4 cup)
More From Oxmoor House
Chill: 2 Hours
Amount per serving
- Calories: 84
- Fat: 3.3g
- Saturated fat: 0.5g
- Protein: 2.9g
- Carbohydrate: 11.6g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Iron: 1.0mg
- Sodium: 384mg
- Calories from fat: 35%
- Fiber: 2.3g
- Calcium: 32mg
- 2 (15-ounce) cans chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
- 1 (7-ounce) bottle roasted red bell peppers, drained
- 3 garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons tahini (sesame seed paste)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Drain chickpeas, reserving 1/4 cup liquid.
- Place chickpeas, reserved liquid, and remaining ingredients in a food processor; process 2 minutes or until very smooth. Cover and chill 2 hours. Serve with pita wedges or baked tortilla chips.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Dips/Spreads