Roasted Red Pepper-and-Vidalia Onion Gravy
This recipe goes with Southern-Fried Stuffed Chicken with Roasted Red Pepper-and-Vidalia Onion Gravy
Yield: 3 cups
- 1 large Vidalia onion, halved vertically
- 1 large sweet red bell pepper, halved and seeded
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon MORTON Kosher Salt
- 3 tablespoons butter
- REYNOLD'S WRAP Release Non-StickAluminum Foil
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons Creole seasoning
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- Black pepper to taste
- Dice 1 onion half, set aside.
- Cut remaining onion half into slices. Place onion slices and bell pepper, cut sides down, on baking sheet lined with non-stick aluminum foil; drizzle with oil, and sprinkle with salt.
- Broil onion slices and bell pepper halves 5 inches from heat about 10 minutes or until bell pepper looks blistered. Place bell pepper halves in a freezer bag; seal and let stand 10 minutes to loosen skin. Peel bell pepper halves, finely chop 1 bell pepper half. Reserve and set aside chopped bell pepper and remaining bell pepper half. Finely chop onion slices, and set aside.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add reserved diced onion, and sauté 10 minutes or until onion begins to brown. Stir in flour; cook; stirring constantly, until flour mixture is caramel-colored (about 5 minutes). Stir in chicken broth and Creole seasoning. Reduce heat to medium, and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened.
- Process gravy mixture and reserved bell pepper half in a blender until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides. Combine gravy mixture, reserved finely chopped bell pepper and onion, basil, and black pepper.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This