Made the day before Thanksgiving with sugar pumpkin and butternut squash. Used a video tip from Food52 and rather than peel & cube the veg, cut in half and roasted skin on/seeds in/cut side down til done. Also roasted an apple for about the last 20min. Scooped out the cooled-down flesh and followed recipe, subbed veg broth for some of the water because we had it on hand. Adjusted seasoning to taste, adding a bit more spices and about 1tbs brown sugar. Thanksgiving morning, tasted again and used some apple cider to thin it a little.
Roasted Pumpkin and Winter Squash Soup
Pumpkin and squash were commonly available to Native Americans and pilgrim settlers. Use a small cheese pumpkin or sugar pumpkin.
Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 cup)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 121
- Calories from fat: 19%
- Fat: 2.5g
- Saturated fat: 0.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.3g
- Protein: 2.8g
- Carbohydrate: 25.4g
- Fiber: 4.6g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 1.9mg
- Sodium: 299mg
- Calcium: 92mg
- 2 cups (1/2-inch) cubed peeled fresh pumpkin (about 2 pounds)
- 2 cups (1/2-inch) cubed peeled butternut squash (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Cooking spray
- 3 cups sliced yellow onion (about 2)
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 4 cups water
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Dash of ground allspice
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Combine first three ingredients in a large bowl; toss well. Place pumpkin mixture on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 30 minutes or until tender.
- Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion; sauté 8 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute. Add pumpkin mixture, 4 cups water, and remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes.
- Place half of pumpkin mixture in a blender. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape); secure blender lid on blender. Place a clean towel over opening in blender lid (to avoid splatters). Blend until smooth. Pour into a large bowl. Repeat procedure with the remaining pumpkin mixture.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Roasted Pumpkin and Winter Squash Soup Recipe at a Glance