Roasted Pepper, Squash, and Feta Salad
A good rule of thumb for salad greens is a small handful per person; cup measuring tends to bruise the leaves. This salad is tasty on its own or served atop creamy polenta, grits, pasta, or risotto. It's also good as a filling for omelets. Prep: 15 minutes, Cook: 40 minutes.
- 1 red, yellow, or green bell pepper
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 yellow squash, chopped into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 zucchini squash, chopped into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- Fresh rosemary leaves, chopped (about 1 tablespoon)
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 ounces feta (3/4 cup), crumbled
- 1 bunch (about 6 cups) fresh arugula, baby spinach, or mesclun greens, washed and drained
- 1. Preheat oven to broil.
- 2. Coat bell pepper evenly with 1 teaspoon olive oil, and place on a baking sheet. Broil 3 inches from heat 10 minutes or until charred.
- 3. Remove pepper from oven, and place in a paper bag or bowl covered with plastic wrap; let steam for about 5 minutes. (This process will loosen the skin so it will be easier to peel.) Remove seeds; chop the pepper, and place in a large bowl. Set aside.
- 4. Reduce oven heat to 400°. Place yellow and zucchini squash cubes on a 15- x 10-inch jellyroll pan; add remaining 3 teaspoons olive oil, vinegar, and rosemary. Toss to coat vegetables evenly; add sea salt and pepper, and spread evenly in a single layer. Roast at 400° for 30 minutes, stirring several times while cooking, until vegetables are tender and light brown around the edges. Remove from oven; cool to room temperature.
- 5. Add squash (and any pan drippings from squash), feta, and additional salt and pepper to chopped bell pepper in bowl; toss gently to mix.
- 6. Remove stems and any discolored leaves from arugula, and place on individual serving plates or a large platter. Place a spoonful of squash mixture on top, and drizzle with a little olive oil and vinegar if needed. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note