Roasted Pepper and Corn Chowder
More From Oxmoor House
Amount per serving
- Calories: 279
- Fat: 7.6g
- Saturated fat: 2.5g
- Protein: 10.9g
- Carbohydrate: 50.3g
- Cholesterol: 13mg
- Iron: 2.0mg
- Sodium: 500mg
- Calories from fat: 22%
- Fiber: 3.5g
- Calcium: 75mg
- 2 poblano chiles
- 1 red bell pepper
- 8 ears shucked corn
- 3 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 cup 2% reduced-fat milk
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Finely chopped red bell pepper (optional)
- Preheat broiler.
- Cut poblano chiles and bell pepper in half lengthwise. Discard seeds and membranes. Place pepper halves, skin sides up, on a foil-lined baking sheet. Flatten peppers with hand and broil 15 to 20 minutes or until roasted. Place peppers in a zip-top plastic bag and seal. Let stand 5 minutes. Peel and coarsely chop. Set aside. -
- Cut kernels from ears of corn to measure 8 cups, reserving cobs; set kernels aside.
- Combine reserved cobs and chicken broth in a large Dutch oven, and bring to a boil. Cover; reduce heat to mediumlow, and simmer 15 minutes. Remove and discard cobs.
- Add 1 1/2 cups corn kernels to broth and bring to a boil. Cover; reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes. Drain, reserving broth and kernels.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a large Dutch oven over low heat. Add onion, celery, and garlic; sauté over medium-high heat 5 minutes. Add reserved broth and remaining 6 1/2 cups uncooked corn kernels to pan; bring to a boil. Cover; reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes. Stir in roasted peppers; cool slightly.
- Place corn mixture in batches in a blender or food processor. Process until smooth, scraping sides of bowl.
- Strain mixture, in batches, through a fine sieve, into a pan. Discard solids. Stir in reserved cooked 1 1/2 cups kernels, milk, cumin, salt, and pepper. Cook over medium heat 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated, stirring occasionally. Stir in cilantro. Sprinkle with red bell pepper, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews