Made this several years ago & for the second time yesterday afternoon. Lined the baking sheet with non-stick aluminum foil. Followed the recipe, except cooled the veg a bit before placing on the dough. Baked a little longer, til dough edges were uniformly light brown. Out of the oven and onto a rack to keep the bottom crispy. Served with simple salad & pinot noir. Very good.
Roasted-Onion Tart with Maytag Blue Cheese
Photo: Karry Hosford
Yield: 4 servings
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 358
- Calories from fat: 28%
- Fat: 11.1g
- Saturated fat: 5.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.3g
- Protein: 12.6g
- Carbohydrate: 51.9g
- Fiber: 2.9g
- Cholesterol: 22mg
- Iron: 2.8mg
- Sodium: 892mg
- Calcium: 145mg
- 1 medium Vidalia or other sweet onion, peeled
- 10 shallots, peeled and halved (about 1/2 pound)
- 10 large garlic cloves, peeled and halved
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon yellow cornmeal
- 1 (10-ounce) can refrigerated pizza crust dough
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2/3 cup (about 2 1/2 ounces) crumbled Maytag blue cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Cut onion into 8 wedges, leaving root intact. Place onion wedges, shallots, and garlic in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish. Combine balsamic vinegar, butter, honey, and thyme in a small bowl, and drizzle over onion mixture, tossing to coat. Bake at 425° for 30 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, and secure with masking tape. Sprinkle paper with cornmeal. Unroll dough onto paper; let stand 5 minutes. Pat dough into a 14 x 12-inch rectangle. Arrange onion mixture over dough, leaving a 1-inch border. Sprinkle evenly with salt and pepper. Fold edges of the dough over onion mixture (dough will not completely cover onion mixture). Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake at 425° for 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on baking sheet 10 minutes on a wire rack. Sprinkle with parsley.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables