This was delicious and very attractive looking as well. However because I didn't want to dirty my stove top or several pans I changed the method as follows: I mixed the chicken thighs with the spices and roasted them skin side down for about 15 minutes. When they were brown, I turned the thighs over and added the carrots and onions with their spices, roasting for another 20 minutes. Finally I added the grapes, olives plus the oil, salt and pepper and roasted for 10 final minutes. Delicious, colourful and very little mess. (Served it on a bed of brown rice with the parsley garnish). Thank you for a great recipe!
Roasted Moroccan-Spiced Grapes and Chicken
Though we usually call for removing skin from dark-meat chicken, here it stays on for delicious flavor, crispy texture, and extra richness. The serving size is small, so saturated fat isn't a problem. The grapes will collapse soon after they come out of the oven, so serve right away.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 52 Minutes
- Calories: 406
- Fat: 23.3g
- Saturated fat: 5.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 12.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 4.3g
- Protein: 18.6g
- Carbohydrate: 33g
- Fiber: 4.2g
- Cholesterol: 79mg
- Iron: 2.1mg
- Sodium: 661mg
- Calcium: 68mg
- 1 1/2 cups sliced yellow onion
- 4 large carrots, quartered lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 3 cups)
- 5 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 4 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs, trimmed (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 3 cups seedless red grapes
- 1/4 cup picholine olives, pitted
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1. Place 2 jelly-roll pans in oven. Preheat oven to 450°.
- 2. Combine onion, carrots, and 1 tablespoon oil in a bowl; toss well. Arrange carrot mixture on 1 preheated pan; sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Bake at 450° for 10 minutes.
- 3. Combine 3/8 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, and next 4 ingredients (through red pepper) in a small bowl. Sprinkle chicken evenly with spice mixture. Heat a small skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 teaspoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add chicken to pan, skin side down; cook 5 minutes or until browned and skin is crisp. Remove chicken from pan. Add chicken to vegetable mixture, skin side up. Bake at 450° for 20 minutes or until chicken is done and vegetables are tender.
- 4. Combine remaining 1 teaspoon oil, grapes, remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt, remaining 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, and olives in a medium bowl; toss well. Place grape mixture on remaining preheated jelly-roll pan. Bake at 450° for 15 minutes or until grapes are charred and beginning to soften, stirring occasionally. Place 1/2 cup vegetable mixture and 1/2 cup grape mixture on each of 4 plates. Top each serving with 1 chicken thigh. Sprinkle with parsley.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note