Roasted Lamb with Vegetables
- 1 (3 1/2-pound) boneless lamb shoulder
- 6 garlic cloves, cut into thin strips
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 pound fresh porcini mushrooms
- 6 baby carrots with tops
- 6 boiling onions
- 6 small turnips, peeled and quartered
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can chicken broth, divided
- 6 thin leeks
- 1/4 pound fresh snow pea pods
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- Make 1-inch-deep cuts into lamb. Pierce roast at 1- to 2-inch intervals, using a small paring knife. Insert a garlic slice into each cut. Sprinkle lamb with 1 teaspoon salt, pepper, and thyme; place in a roasting pan.
- Place in a 450° oven. Immediately reduce oven temperature to 350°, and bake 40 minutes.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium heat; add shallots and minced garlic, and saute 2 to 3 minutes. Add mushrooms and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt; saute until tender and liquid evaporates. Remove from skillet, and set aside.
- Cut off carrot tops, leaving 1 inch attached to carrots; scrape carrots. Add carrots, onions, and turnips to roasting pan; bake 40 more minutes or until vegetables are tender and a meat thermometer inserted into thickest portion of lamb registers 145° or to desired degree of doneness. Remove lamb and vegetables from pan, reserving drippings.
- Reserve 1/4 cup chicken broth.
- Add reserved drippings, remaining broth, leeks, and pea pods to mushroom mixture in skillet; cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Stir all-purpose flour into reserved 1/4 cup chicken broth; gradually stir into mushroom mixture. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is thickened and bubbly. Serve with lamb and vegetables.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes