Roasted Halibut with Orange-Braised Fennel
Serve with orzo or crusty bread to enjoy every drop of the flavorful sauce.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 fillet, 1 fennel slice, 1/4 cup orange sauce, and about 1 1/2 teaspoons fennel butter)
More From Oxmoor House
Amount per serving
- Calories: 323
- Fat: 10.4g
- Saturated fat: 2.5g
- Protein: 36.7g
- Carbohydrate: 15.7g
- Cholesterol: 62mg
- Iron: 2.1mg
- Sodium: 586mg
- Calories from fat: 29%
- Fiber: 2.0g
- Calcium: 119mg
- 4 (6-ounce) halibut or other firm white fish fillets (about 1 inch thick)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 1 large fennel bulb
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup mirin (sweet rice wine)
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon lime juice
- 1/2 small garlic clove, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Rub fillets with 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil; sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Rinse fennel thoroughly. Trim stalks to within 1 inch of bulb. Discard hard outside stalks; chop 1 tablespoon fennel fronds, and set aside. Reserve remaining fennel fronds for garnish, if desired. Cut out tough core from bottom of bulb. Starting at 1 side, cut bulb horizontally into 4 (1/2-inchthick) slices.
- Heat remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add fennel slices, and cook 3 minutes on each side or until browned (slices may separate). Pour orange juice and mirin over fennel, and sprinkle with remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes (if fennel slices separate, arrange pieces in 4 circles). Place fillets on top of fennel slices; spoon orange juice mixture over fillets. Bake at 425° for 10 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork.
- While fish cooks, combine chopped fennel fronds, butter, lime juice, and chopped garlic in a bowl; stir well.
- Using a spatula, gently lift fennel and fish out of pan, and place in wide, shallow bowls. Spoon pan juices over fish, and top with fennel butter.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes