- 5 whole garlic heads, unpeeled
- 3 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 10 shallots, unpeeled (about 3/4 pound)
- 2 cups coarsely chopped onion
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 3 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups (1/2-inch) cubed peeled baking potato (about 3/4 pound)
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 cup 2% reduced-fat milk
- 16 (1/2-inch-thick) slices French bread baguette
- Cooking spray
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) crumbled blue cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- calories 290
- caloriesfromfat 30 %
- fat 9.6 g
- satfat 3.5 g
- monofat 4.7 g
- polyfat 0.8 g
- protein 11.1 g
- carbohydrate 41 g
- fiber 3.3 g
- cholesterol 12 mg
- iron 2 mg
- sodium 806 mg
- calcium 202 mg
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 400°
To prepare soup, remove white papery skins from garlic heads (do not peel or separate cloves); cut off tops, leaving root ends intact. Place garlic in a shallow roasting pan. Drizzle 1 tablespoon oil over garlic; sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cover with foil. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes. Add shallots to pan. Drizzle 1 tablespoon oil over shallots; sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cover and bake at 400° for 25 minutes or until tender and browned. Cool. Squeeze garlic to extract pulp; peel shallots. Discard skins. Set garlic pulp and shallots aside.
Heat 1 1/2 tablespoons oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat; add onion. Cover and cook 15 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Add garlic pulp, peeled shallots, and wine. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes.
Stir in broth, potato, and thyme; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until potato is tender. Cool slightly. Place half of potato mixture in a blender; process until smooth. Pour pureed mixture into a large bowl. Repeat procedure with remaining potato mixture.
Return pureed mixture to pan; stir in milk, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper into pureed mixture. Cook over medium heat 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
Preheat oven to 400°.
To prepare croutons, place bread slices in a single layer on a large baking sheet. Lightly coat tops of bread with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 8 minutes or until lightly browned. Sprinkle cheeses evenly over bread slices, turning once. Bake 3 minutes or until cheese melts. Serve warm with soup.