Roasted Eggplant Marinara Sauce
This roasted eggplant marinara sauce is a wonderful vegetarian option for Italian night. Serve over freshly cooked pasta.
Yield: Makes About 12 cups, enough for about 2 pounds spaghetti; 8 to 12 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 103
- Calories from fat: 35%
- Protein: 3.1g
- Fat: 4g
- Saturated fat: 0.5g
- Carbohydrate: 16g
- Fiber: 3.1g
- Sodium: 375mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 2 pounds eggplant, rinsed, ends trimmed, and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- About 1/4 teaspoon salt
- About 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 onion (about 8 oz.), peeled and diced (1/4 in.)
- 3 cans (28 oz. each) crushed or ground tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon hot chili flakes
- 1. In a 12- by 15-inch baking pan, mix eggplant with 2 tablespoons oil, 1 tablespoon garlic, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Bake in a 400° regular or convection oven, stirring once, until eggplant is browned and soft when pierced, 30 to 35 minutes.
- 2. Pour remaining tablespoon oil into a 5- to 6-quart pan over medium heat. When hot, add onion and remaining 2 tablespoons garlic. Stir frequently until onion is very limp, 5 to 8 minutes.
- 3. Add tomatoes, basil, sugar, oregano, chili flakes, and roasted eggplant. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until tomatoes have broken down slightly and mixture is thick, 35 to 40 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note