A very elegant soup, but I agree without others who said the balsamic gives the soup too much bite, and would be eager to try it without next time! Great warm spice from the coriander and cumin though, and wonderful flavor of roasted eggplant garlic.
Roasted Eggplant and Garlic Soup
Photo: Karry Hosford
This is a great make-ahead recipe. Keep it refrigerated for up to three days, then reheat and garnish with yogurt and cilantro just before serving.
Yield: 3 cups
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 214
- Calories from fat: 27%
- Fat: 6.5g
- Saturated fat: 0.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Protein: 7.5g
- Carbohydrate: 37.1g
- Fiber: 2.7g
- Cholesterol: 1mg
- Iron: 1.6mg
- Sodium: 899mg
- Calcium: 99mg
- 1 (1-pound) eggplant, cut in half lengthwise
- Cooking spray
- 10 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons plain low-fat yogurt
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh cilantro
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Place eggplant, cut sides down, in a baking pan coated with cooking spray; add garlic. Bake at 450° for 30 minutes or until eggplant is tender; cool. Scrape pulp from eggplant skins; discard skins. Squeeze cloves to extract garlic pulp; discard skins.
- Place coriander and cumin in a spice or coffee grinder; process until finely ground. Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add spice mixture, onion, and pepper; cook 5 minutes or until onion is tender, stirring frequently. Add flour; cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add water and vegetable broth, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Cool 5 minutes.
- Combine eggplant pulp, garlic pulp, and broth mixture in a blender, and process until smooth. Return the pureed mixture to pan. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, and cook 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in balsamic vinegar. Ladle 1 1/2 cups soup into each of 2 bowls. Top each serving with 1 tablespoon yogurt and 1 teaspoon cilantro.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note