Roasted corn poblano chowder
Community Recipe from
- 3 piece(s) medium poblano peppers
- olive oil for roasting peppers
- 4 tablespoon(s) butter divided
- 2 clove(s) fresh garlic chopped
- 1 stalk(s) celery sliced thin
- 1 yellow onion, medium chopped
- 1/4 cup(s) all purpose flour plus 1 Tbsp
- 6 cup(s) vegetable broth
- 2 cup(s) whole milk or half & half
- 1 1/2 pound(s) new potatoes washed and diced unpeeled
- 1/2 cup(s) roasted red peppers(in jar) chopped
- salt to taste
- cayenne pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cup(s) corn, frozen
- Lightly coat poblano peppers with olive oil and place on pan for roasting. Place under oven broiler until peppers are charred(about 5 minutes); turn over and char other side.
- Remove peppers from oven and place in paper bag; roll top of bag to trap steam. Allow peppers to sit 10 minutes.
- Remove steamed peppers. Set aside to cool. Peel, remove stem and seeds, and chop.
- In a large, heavy soup pot, melt 2 Tbsp butter over medium-high heat. Add celery, garlic, and onions and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add remaining 2 Tbsp butter until melted. Reduce heat to low. Stir in the flour to make a roux. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring often, careful not to let the flour scorch. Turn up the heat to medium-high and slowly add the vegetable broth, stirring constantly to prevent lumps. Add milk.
- Bring mixture to a rolling simmer and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the potatoes, poblanos, corn and red peppers. Adjust heat to a slow simmer and cook uncovered for 30-45 miutes, stirring occasionally.
- Season with salt and cayenne pepper, serve.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by cabought and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Roasted corn poblano chowder Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Soups/Stews