This recipe was so-so. I appreciate the fact that it is super healthy. I didn't strain it because after straining about a cup or so it seemed way too thin. As long as you get all the seeds out before grilling, it's fine unstrained. I too used an immersion blender. I sprinkled parmesan cheese on top and it made it much better. :)
Roasted Corn, Pepper, and Tomato Chowder
Photo: Randy Mayor; Stylist: Cindy Barr
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 155
- Fat: 7.2g
- Saturated fat: 1.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.2g
- Protein: 5.4g
- Carbohydrate: 21g
- Fiber: 4.4g
- Cholesterol: 4mg
- Iron: 1.1mg
- Sodium: 620mg
- Calcium: 45mg
- 3 red bell peppers, halved and seeded
- 3 ears shucked corn
- 1 1/2 pounds tomatoes, halved, seeded, and peeled (about 4)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cups chopped onion (about 2 medium)
- 3 (14-ounce) cans fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) crumbled blue cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1. Prepare grill to medium-high heat.
- 2. Arrange bell peppers, skin side down, and corn in a single layer on a grill rack; grill 5 minutes, turning corn occasionally. Add tomatoes; grill an additional 5 minutes or until vegetables are slightly charred. Remove from heat; cool 10 minutes. Coarsely chop tomatoes and bell peppers; place in a medium bowl. Cut kernels from ears of corn; add to tomato mixture.
- 3. Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion; cook 7 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in tomato mixture; cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Increase heat to high, and stir in broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Cool 20 minutes.
- 4. Place one-third of tomato mixture in a blender; process until smooth. Place pureed mixture in a large bowl. Repeat procedure twice with remaining tomato mixture. Wipe pan clean with paper towels. Press tomato mixture through a sieve into pan; discard solids. Place pan over medium heat; cook until thoroughly heated. Stir in salt and black pepper. Ladle about 1 1/2 cups soup into each of 6 bowls; top each serving with 2 teaspoons cheese and 1 teaspoon chives.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note