I made this with just one chicken and more veggies - wonderful recipe! Everything tasted great. Thanks for posting this recipe, we'll have it again soon!
Roasted Chicken With Potatoes, Carrots, and Turnips
Prep: 25 minutes; Cook: 90 minutes
Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 3/4 cup vegetable mixture and 4 to 6 ounces of chicken, skin removed)
More From Health
Amount per serving
- Calories: 414
- Fat: 17g
- Saturated fat: 4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 3g
- Protein: 46g
- Carbohydrate: 18g
- Fiber: 3g
- Cholesterol: 135mg
- Iron: 3mg
- Sodium: 353mg
- Calcium: 55mg
- 2 (3 1/2-pound) whole chickens (raw, with skin)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 small shallots, halved, peeled, and separated
- 16 small red potatoes (1 1/4 pounds)
- 6 carrots, peeled and cut into 2-inch lengths
- 2 small turnips, peeled and each cut into 8 wedges
- 1. Preheat the oven to 400º.
- 2. Truss chickens: Tuck wings under the chicken, tie drumsticks together with kitchen string; tie another string around the back end of the chicken, securing the wings and thighs. Rub each chicken with 1 tablespoon olive oil, half the lemon zest, and half the thyme. Season each chicken with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper, and place them in a large roasting pan. Toss the shallots, potatoes, carrots, and turnips with the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper in a large bowl; add to the roasting pan.
- 3. Roast for 30 minutes, brush both chickens with juices in pan, and stir vegetables. Continue roasting, stirring, and brushing every 15 minutes, for 1 hour longer, or until juices of thigh run clear when pierced with a paring knife, and vegetables are tender.
- 4. Remove the chickens from roasting pan, and let stand for 10 minutes before carving. Toss vegetables with pan juices. Drain excess juice.
- 5. Carve the chickens, arrange on a platter with vegetables, and serve hot.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes