One of my supper club mates made this recipe for dinner tonight and it was INCREDIBLE!! It was mouth-watering and each of us were wanting to lick out the bottoms of our bowls!! She said it was easy to make, and the taste was delicious! She found roasted chestnuts at Trader Joe's in the refrigerated section. $4 for 6oz (recipe calls for 1 pound, so you'll need to pick up several boxes). They were in a box, then vacuum sealed in a bag inside (not jarred).
Roasted Chestnut Soup with Thyme Cream
Photo: Jonny Valiant; Styling: Deborah Williams
Roasting bottled chestnuts brings back fresh-toasted flavor.
Yield: 10 servings
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 172
- Fat: 5.5g
- Saturated fat: 2.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.7g
- Protein: 3.5g
- Carbohydrate: 27.5g
- Fiber: 3.6g
- Cholesterol: 11mg
- Iron: 0.8mg
- Sodium: 364mg
- Calcium: 38mg
- 3 cups whole roasted bottled chestnuts
- 2 cups chopped yellow onion
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced carrot
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 cups fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
- 5/8 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°.
- 2. Place chestnuts on a jelly-roll pan. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes. Place chestnuts in a large bowl; cool to room temperature.
- 3. Combine onion, carrot, and oil on pan; toss to coat vegetables. Bake at 400° for 1 hour or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add to chestnuts; stir in broth. Pour half of broth mixture into a blender; blend until smooth. Pour pureed mixture into a Dutch oven. Repeat procedure with remaining broth mixture. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Place pan over medium-high heat; bring to a simmer. Reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes.
- 4. Place cream in a medium bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed until soft peaks form. Add remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt; beat at high speed until stiff peaks form (do not overbeat). Ladle about 3/4 cup soup into each of 10 bowls; top each serving with about 1 tablespoon cream. Sprinkle with thyme. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note