While it was a little difficult to find the carrots, the flavor was worth it. This make a lot so you may want to half the recipe if you are serving it as a side dish. We made it along side the Beef Short Ribs (southern living Jan 2012) and it was a nice compliment
Roasted Carrots with Avocado and Feta Vinaigrette
In this salad, char, spice, and creaminess meld. The key to roasting veggies is to use similarly sized pieces. Spread them evenly on a baking sheet, and roast in a very hot oven until just tender.
Yield: Makes 4 servings
- 2 pounds small carrots in assorted colors
- 1 tablespoon sorghum syrup or honey
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 ounces feta, blue, or goat cheese, crumbled
- 1 medium-size ripe avocado, sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 tablespoon roasted, salted, and shelled pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- 1. Preheat oven to 500°. Toss carrots with sorghum and 2 Tbsp. olive oil. Sprinkle with kosher salt and next 3 ingredients; toss to coat. Place carrots in a lightly greased jelly-roll pan. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until tender, stirring halfway through.
- 2. Stir together shallot and vinegar. Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir in remaining 2 Tbsp. olive oil; stir in feta.
- 3. Arrange carrots and avocado on a serving platter. Drizzle with vinaigrette. Sprinkle with cilantro and pepitas.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Salads