Used homegrown yellow carrots that I preroasted/carmelized with EVOO, sugar, salt substitute & fresh ground pepper (convection oven, 300F, 3 hrs), and 4-5 cloves roasted garlic. Used broth, too, for pureeing -- it was too thick to process with just water. Pureed in 2 batches, then all together in a 7c processor (yes, it was FULL). Used Nellie & Joeâs Famous Key West Key Lime Juice & fresh oregano (soup was good without lime juice, too). Also added a little sea salt. Served with corn muffins.
Roasted Carrot Soup
It's ok if the carrot pieces aren't all the same size--they're going to be purréed. We found that a food processor works better than a blender for this recipe.
Yield: 7 servings (serving size: 1 cup)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 106
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Fat: 3.5g
- Saturated fat: 1.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.2g
- Protein: 2.4g
- Carbohydrate: 18.8g
- Fiber: 4g
- Cholesterol: 7mg
- Iron: 0.8mg
- Sodium: 574mg
- Calcium: 40mg
- 4 teaspoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 2 pounds carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
- Cooking spray
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 (14 1/2-ounce) cans vegetable broth
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Combine 4 teaspoons melted butter, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and carrots in a jelly roll pan or shallow roasting pan coated with cooking spray; toss to coat. Bake at 400° for 35 minutes or until tender, stirring every 10 minutes.
- Place the carrot mixture, water, and oregano in a food processor, and process until smooth.
- Melt 1 teaspoon butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the ground cumin, and cook 30 seconds or until fragrant, stirring constantly. Add pureed carrot mixture, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, honey, juice, and broth, and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note