Roasted Carrot and Avocado Salad
Photo: Iain Bagwell; Styling: Heather Chadduck
More From Southern Living
Total: 1 Hour, 10 Minutes
- 3 (6-oz.) packages microwave-in-bag baby rainbow carrots with tops, cut in half lengthwise
- 2 lemons, halved
- 1 orange, halved
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 cup olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 tablespoon sunflower seeds
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin seeds
- 1 medium avocado
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 (5-oz.) package spring greens mix
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons Mexican crema
- 1. Preheat oven to 425°. Toss together first 7 ingredients in a 15- x 10-inch jelly-roll pan. Drizzle with 2 Tbsp. olive oil, and sprinkle with 1/2 tsp. salt; toss to coat. Bake 25 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Cool to room temperature (about 30 minutes).
- 2. Meanwhile, cook all seeds in a small skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, 4 to 5 minutes or until toasted. Remove from heat; cool completely (about 15 minutes).
- 3. Cut avocado into slices, and toss with lemon juice.
- 4. Squeeze juice from roasted lemon and orange halves into a large bowl; stir in vinegar and remaining 1/2 tsp. salt. Slowly whisk in remaining 6 Tbsp. olive oil until blended; reserve half of dressing. Toss carrots, salad greens, and red onion with remaining dressing in bowl. Arrange greens on a serving platter or individual plates; top with avocado. Drizzle with crema; sprinkle with toasted seeds. Serve with reserved dressing.
- Brought to the table by Elizabeth Winslow, co-founder of Farmhouse Delivery.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Salads