This is pretty good for a pasta dish. If I have the time I will cut up my own butternut squash but if I;m in a rush I will stop and buy the bagged stuff. I also do not use the recipe for the sauce as its really runny and very tasteless. I make my own with neufchael cheese and skim milk (aka alfredo sauce). I do sometimes make this meatless too so its a good basic recipe that can be changed up.
Roasted Butternut Squash and Bacon Pasta
Whip up this outstanding pasta and squash casserole for an easy family meal. Mini penne pasta works well in this dish since it's about the same size as the squash. You can also use elbow macaroni, shell pasta, or orecchiette.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 469
- Calories from fat: 28%
- Fat: 14.4g
- Saturated fat: 7.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.9g
- Protein: 22.1g
- Carbohydrate: 66.6g
- Fiber: 6.8g
- Cholesterol: 40mg
- Iron: 3.5mg
- Sodium: 849mg
- Calcium: 443mg
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups (1-inch) cubed peeled butternut squash
- Cooking spray
- 6 sweet hickory-smoked bacon slices (raw)
- 1 cup thinly sliced shallots
- 8 ounces uncooked mini penne (tube-shaped pasta)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded sharp provolone cheese
- 1/3 cup (1 1/2 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Combine 1/4 teaspoon salt, rosemary, and pepper. Place squash on a foil-lined baking sheet coated with cooking spray; sprinkle with salt mixture. Bake at 425° for 45 minutes or until tender and lightly browned. Increase oven temperature to 450°.
- Cook the bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan, reserving 1 1/2 teaspoons drippings in pan; crumble bacon. Increase heat to medium-high. Add shallots to pan; sauté 8 minutes or until tender. Combine squash mixture, bacon, and shallots; set aside.
- Cook pasta according to the package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain well.
- Combine flour and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Gradually add milk, stirring constantly with a whisk; bring to a boil. Cook 1 minute or until slightly thick, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Add provolone, stirring until cheese melts. Add pasta to cheese mixture, tossing well to combine. Spoon pasta mixture into an 11 x 7-inch baking dish lightly coated with cooking spray; top with squash mixture. Sprinkle evenly with Parmesan cheese. Bake at 450° for 10 minutes or until cheese melts and begins to brown.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Casseroles