love these types of soup. this one is delicious.
Roasted Butternut Soup with Goat Cheese Toasts
Most any winter squash will work in this recipe. We like butternut for the nutty, slightly sweet flavor it lends to the soup. Serve this paired with a hearty salad studded with nuts and seeds for a more filling entrée.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 292
- Fat: 10.1g
- Saturated fat: 3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.2g
- Protein: 7.3g
- Carbohydrate: 47.8g
- Fiber: 5g
- Cholesterol: 7mg
- Iron: 2.6mg
- Sodium: 546mg
- Calcium: 126mg
- 1 (2 1/2-pound) butternut squash
- Cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups Roasted Vegetable Stock
- 2 cups coarsely chopped peeled Yukon gold potatoes
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 (1-ounce) slices French bread baguette
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) goat cheese, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh chives
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°.
- 2. Cut squash in half lengthwise; discard seeds. Place squash, cut sides down, on a foil-lined baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 30 minutes or until tender. Cool. Discard peel; mash pulp.
- 3. Preheat broiler.
- 4. Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add onion; sauté 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic; sauté 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Add squash, Roasted Vegetable Stock, and next 5 ingredients (through bay leaf); bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 45 minutes or until potato is tender, stirring occasionally. Let stand 10 minutes. Discard bay leaf.
- 5. Place bread slices in a single layer on a baking sheet. Broil 2 minutes or until toasted. Sprinkle about 4 teaspoons cheese on each slice; sprinkle evenly with chives.
- 6. Place one-third of vegetable mixture in a blender. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape); secure blender lid on blender. Place a clean towel over opening in blender lid (to avoid splatters). Blend until smooth. Pour into a large bowl. Repeat procedure twice with remaining squash mixture. Return pureed mixture to pan; cook over medium heat 3 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Stir in parsley and honey. Serve with toasts.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note