Very simple, delicious soup. We used reduced fat buttermilk instead of fat free which made it a bit creamier. I would recommend getting precubed butternut squash or cutting the squash down the middle and roasting first before harvesting the fruit.
Roasted Butternut Bisque
"I am a student in culinary school and also a volunteer at the local farmers' market. I enjoy creating dishes such as this soup using fresh seasonal vegetables when they first appear at the market." —Katy McNulty, Sewickley, PA
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 104
- Calories from fat: 26%
- Fat: 3g
- Saturated fat: 1.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.1g
- Protein: 4.8g
- Carbohydrate: 15.9g
- Fiber: 0.7g
- Cholesterol: 8mg
- Iron: 1.1mg
- Sodium: 616mg
- Calcium: 143mg
- 4 cups cubed peeled butternut squash (about 1 pound)
- Cooking spray
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 1/2 cups organic vegetable broth (such as Swanson Certified Organic)
- 1 1/2 cups fat-free buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°.
- 2. Place squash in a 2-quart baking dish coated with cooking spray. Lightly coat squash with cooking spray. Sprinkle squash with salt and pepper; toss well. Bake at 375° for 30 minutes or until tender.
- 3. Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add shallots and garlic to pan; cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add squash and broth to pan; bring to a boil, and cook 2 minutes. Stir in buttermilk. Reduce heat, and cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Place one-third of squash mixture in a blender. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape); secure blender lid on blender. Place a clean towel over opening in blender lid (to avoid splatters). Blend until smooth. Pour into a large bowl. Repeat procedure with remaining squash mixture. Sprinkle with parsley.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Roasted Butternut Bisque Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes for Soups/Stews