Roasted Beets with Pistachios, Herbs and Orange
These recipes, originally designed for a 2,000-degree glass-blowing oven, may be prepared using more conventional methods. Recipes by chef Naomi Pomeroy, owner of the Portland restaurant Beast. Red and golden beet slices topped with a lively mixed-herb dressing, pistachios and celery leaves. The beets and dressing can be refrigerated separately overnight; return to room temperature before proceeding. Recipe published in Food & Wine: March 2012.
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 3 pound(s) medium beets, preferably a mix of colors
- One 3-inch cinnamon stick, broken into 3 or 4 pieces
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup(s) water
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 1/4 cup(s) white wine vinegar
- Finely grated zest of 1 orange
- 1/4 cup(s) chopped tarragon
- 1/4 cup(s) chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup(s) chopped chives
- 1/4 cup(s) plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup(s) chopped unsalted roasted pistachios
- 1/4 cup(s) celery leaves, for garnish
- 1. Preheat the oven to 375°. Arrange the beets in a roasting pan and add the cinnamon, bay leaves and water. Cover tightly with foil and bake for 1 hour, until the beets are tender; transfer to a large rimmed baking sheet and let cool; discard the liquid and spices.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a bowl, mix the shallot, vinegar and a large pinch of salt. Let stand for 10 minutes. Stir in the orange zest, tarragon, parsley, chives and oil; season with salt.
- 3. Peel and trim the beets and slice them ¼ inch thick. Arrange the beet slices in overlapping rows on a platter. Stir the herb dressing and spoon it over the beets. Scatter the pistachios and celery leaves on top and serve.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by psfreeman and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note