Roasted Beets with Pistachios, Herbs and Orange
Beets are a no-brainer for healthy meals since they taste great even when they're simply roasted with a little oil. Naomi Pomeroy goes beyond that, topping red and golden beet slices with a lively mixed-herb dressing, pistachios and celery leaves.
More From Food & Wine
Total: 1 Hour, 20 Minutes
- 3 pounds medium beets, preferably a mix of colors
- 1 3-inch cinnamon stick, broken into 3 or 4 pieces
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup water
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- Finely grated zest of 1 orange
- 1/4 cup chopped tarragon
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped chives
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped unsalted roasted pistachios
- 1/4 cup celery leaves, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 375°. Arrange the beets in a roasting pan and add the cinnamon, bay leaves and water. Cover tightly with foil and bake for 1 hour, until the beets are tender; transfer to a large rimmed baking sheet and let cool; discard the liquid and spices.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, mix the shallot, vinegar and a large pinch of salt. Let stand for 10 minutes. Stir in the orange zest, tarragon, parsley, chives and oil; season with salt.
- Peel and trim the beets and slice them 1/4 inch thick. Arrange the beet slices in overlapping rows on a platter. Stir the herb dressing and spoon it over the beets. Scatter the pistachios and celery leaves on top and serve.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note