- 7 to 8 small beets (select a variety, such as Chioggia, golden and red beets)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 small shallot, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- calories 199
- fat 14 g
- satfat 2 g
- monofat 0.0 g
- polyfat 0.0 g
- protein 3 g
- carbohydrate 16 g
- fiber 5 g
- cholesterol 0.0 mg
- iron 2 mg
- sodium 398 mg
- calcium 41 mg
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 400°F. Scrub beets; pierce with a fork and place in a small baking dish. Cover with a snug lid or wrap tightly with aluminum foil. Bake until fork-tender, 45 to 60 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.
While beets roast, make chimichurri: In a small bowl, combine oil, vinegar, shallot, parsley, oregano, salt and crushed red pepper flakes. Whisk thoroughly.
Remove skins from beets. Slice beets crosswise 1/2 inch thick. Carefully toss slices with chimichurri. Serve immediately.