Wonderful side dish. I made it with extra greens and no arugula because that is what I had. It was fantastic, but next time I will add the arugula. I suspect that will make it even better. I used Chioggia beets from the farmer's market. They were amazing.
Roasted Beet and Shallot Salad over Wilted Beet Greens and Arugula
Randy Mayor; Melanie J. Clarke
Use beets with fresh green tops attached, or substitute Swiss chard for beet greens, if you prefer. Serve with pan-roasted salmon or trout, lamb chops, or beef tenderloin.
Yield: 4 servings
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 127
- Calories from fat: 31%
- Fat: 4.3g
- Saturated fat: 0.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.4g
- Protein: 4.3g
- Carbohydrate: 19.4g
- Fiber: 4.6g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 1.8mg
- Sodium: 393mg
- Calcium: 81mg
- 1 1/2 pounds beets
- 8 shallots, peeled and halved
- Cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 5 cups trimmed arugula (about 5 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts, toasted
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Trim beets, reserving greens. Wrap beets in foil. Place beets and shallots on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Coat shallots with cooking spray. Bake at 425° for 25 minutes or until shallots are lightly browned. Remove shallots from pan. Return beets to oven; bake an additional 35 minutes or until beets are tender. Cool. Peel beets; cut into 1/2-inch wedges. Place beets, shallots, vinegar, rind, 1 teaspoon oil, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a large bowl; toss well.
- Heat remaining 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add reserved beet greens to pan; sauté 1 minute or until greens begin to wilt. Stir in sugar, cider, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt; cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Remove pan from heat. Add arugula; stir just until wilted. Place about 1 cup greens mixture on each of 4 plates. Sprinkle each serving with 1 1/2 teaspoons walnuts; top each serving with 3/4 cup beet mixture.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Roasted Beet and Shallot Salad over Wilted Beet Greens and Arugula Recipe at a Glance