This was one of those surprisingly awesome dishes! The flavors were outstanding. I sauted sweet onions with the beet greens rather than roasting shallots, skipped the arugula, and used yellow beets from our garden.
Roasted Beet and Shallot Salad over Wilted Beet Greens and Arugula
Randy Mayor; Melanie J. Clarke
Use beets with fresh green tops attached, or substitute Swiss chard for beet greens, if you prefer. Serve with pan-roasted salmon or trout, lamb chops, or beef tenderloin.
Yield: 4 servings
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 127
- Calories from fat: 31%
- Fat: 4.3g
- Saturated fat: 0.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.4g
- Protein: 4.3g
- Carbohydrate: 19.4g
- Fiber: 4.6g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 1.8mg
- Sodium: 393mg
- Calcium: 81mg
- 1 1/2 pounds beets
- 8 shallots, peeled and halved
- Cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 5 cups trimmed arugula (about 5 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts, toasted
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Trim beets, reserving greens. Wrap beets in foil. Place beets and shallots on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Coat shallots with cooking spray. Bake at 425° for 25 minutes or until shallots are lightly browned. Remove shallots from pan. Return beets to oven; bake an additional 35 minutes or until beets are tender. Cool. Peel beets; cut into 1/2-inch wedges. Place beets, shallots, vinegar, rind, 1 teaspoon oil, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a large bowl; toss well.
- Heat remaining 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add reserved beet greens to pan; sauté 1 minute or until greens begin to wilt. Stir in sugar, cider, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt; cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Remove pan from heat. Add arugula; stir just until wilted. Place about 1 cup greens mixture on each of 4 plates. Sprinkle each serving with 1 1/2 teaspoons walnuts; top each serving with 3/4 cup beet mixture.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Roasted Beet and Shallot Salad over Wilted Beet Greens and Arugula Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes for Salads