I though the beet salad with citrus vinaigrette was MUCH better. This was good, too, but after making the latter, I felt this didn't meet my already high expectations for another five-star beet salad. Good, solid recipe. Served over a bed of lettuce with pasta and veal bolognese as an entree.
Roasted Beet Salad with Tarragon Vinaigrette
We call for golden beets, but regular beets work just as well in this flavorful salad. You can also use a mixture of both for a colorful, pretty platter.
Yield: 8 servings (serving size: about 1/2 cup)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 146
- Calories from fat: 22%
- Fat: 3.7g
- Saturated fat: 0.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Protein: 3.3g
- Carbohydrate: 26.9g
- Fiber: 5.3g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 1.8mg
- Sodium: 428mg
- Calcium: 43mg
- 3 pounds golden beets
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh tarragon, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
- 2 cups vertically sliced red onion
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Leave root and 1-inch stem on beets; scrub with a brush. Place beets, 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1 tablespoon garlic, 1 teaspoon thyme, and 1 teaspoon tarragon in a large bowl; toss gently. Place beet mixture on a jelly-roll pan. Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until beets are tender. Drain and cool slightly. Trim off beet roots; rub off skins. Cut in half. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
- Combine vinegar, sugar, shallots, 2 tablespoons oil, 1 tablespoon garlic, 1/2 teaspoon thyme, 1/2 teaspoon tarragon, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and oregano in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add vinegar mixture and onion to beet mixture; toss gently.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Roasted Beet Salad with Tarragon Vinaigrette Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes for Salads