- 1/2 pound beets, trimmed (about 1 large)
- 1 Bartlett pear, unpeeled, cored, and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups trimmed watercress
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- calories 136
- fat 8.6 g
- satfat 1.0 g
- protein 2.8 g
- carbohydrate 14.4 g
- cholesterol 0 mg
- iron 0.9 mg
- sodium 199 mg
- caloriesfromfat 53 %
- fiber 3.2 g
- calcium 44 mg
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 425°.
Leave root and 1-inch stem on beets; scrub with a brush. Place beets on a baking sheet. Bake at 425° for 1 hour or until tender. Cool slightly. Trim off beet roots; rub off skins. Cut beets into 1-inch cubes.
Combine beets and pear in a bowl.
Combine shallots and next 4 ingredients; stir well. Pour over beet-pear mixture, tossing gently to coat.
Divide watercress evenly among 4 salad plates. Spoon beet mixture evenly over watercress. Sprinkle evenly with toasted walnuts.