- 2 pounds fresh beets (about 5 medium)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons minced shallot (1 large)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh sage
- 1/2 teaspoon grated fresh lemon rind
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts, toasted
- 2 tablespoons crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- calories 84
- fat 3.8 g
- satfat 0.8 g
- protein 2.9 g
- carbohydrate 10.8 g
- fiber 3.1 g
- cholesterol 2 mg
- iron 1 mg
- sodium 208 mg
- calcium 34 mg
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 450°.
Trim roots and stems from beets. Peel beets, and cut into 1/2-inch pieces. Combine beets, 1 teaspoon oil, 1/8 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a medium bowl; toss well. Spread beets in a shallow roasting pan, and bake at 450° for 40 minutes or until tender.
Place beets in a medium bowl. Add remaining 1 teaspoon olive oil, remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt, remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper, vinegar, and next 3 ingredients; toss well. Sprinkle with walnuts and cheese. Serve at room temperature.