- 1 medium beet (6 oz.)
- 1 can (15 oz.) chickpeas (garbanzos), drained, 2 tbsp. liquid reserved
- 1/4 cup tahini (sesame paste)
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 large lemon
- About 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- About 1/4 tsp. pepper
- About 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Small chervil or parsley sprigs (optional)
- calories 103
- caloriesfromfat 66 %
- protein 2.5 g
- fat 7.8 g
- satfat 1 g
- carbohydrate 7 g
- fiber 1.7 g
- sodium 151 mg
- cholesterol 0.0 mg
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 375°. Set beet in a small baking pan with 1/4 in. water and cover tightly with foil. Roast until tender when pierced, 1 to 1 1/4 hours.
Let beet cool; peel and quarter. Purée in a food processor until smooth, scraping inside of bowl as needed.
To beet, add chickpeas and reserved liquid, tahini, garlic, zest and juice of 1/2 lemon, 1/2 tsp. salt, and 1/4 tsp. pepper; whirl until smooth. Drizzle in 1/4 cup oil, pulsing to combine.
Add more lemon juice, salt, pepper, or oil to taste. If hummus is too thick, add a bit of water. Scrape into a bowl and top with chervil sprigs.
Make ahead: Up to 2 days, chilled.