- 6 large red or yellow beets (about 4 1/2 pounds)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated orange rind
- 1/3 cup fresh orange juice
- 3 tablespoons extravirgin olive oil
- 2 1/4 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large avocado, peeled
- 3 bunches watercress (about 9 cups trimmed)
- 3 cups orange sections (about 3 large navel oranges)
- 3/4 cup vertically sliced red onion
- 3 tablespoons chopped pecans, toasted
- calories 168
- caloriesfromfat 41 %
- fat 7.7 g
- satfat 1.1 g
- monofat 5.1 g
- polyfat 1.1 g
- protein 4 g
- carbohydrate 24 g
- fiber 5.2 g
- cholesterol 0.0 mg
- iron 1.6 mg
- sodium 232 mg
- calcium 66 mg
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 375°.
Remove root and 1 inch stem on beets; scrub with a brush. Cut beets in half; place beets in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish. Add water. Cover with foil, and bake at 375° for 1 hour or until tender. Cool; rub off skins. Cut beets into 1/2-inch slices.
Combine rind and next 6 ingredients (through pepper) in a small bowl. Toss half of juice mixture with beets.
Cut avocado in half lengthwise. Slice each half into 12 slices. Place watercress on a platter; top with beets, orange sections, onion, and avocado. Drizzle remaining juice mixture over salad, and top with pecans. Serve immediately.