This recipe is so good. I thought I hated beets, then I discovered I just hate beets from a can. Roasted fresh beets are a whole new ball game : ) My friend has been making and bringing this recipe for our Christmas dinner the last couple of years. I now make it myself during the year. The only change I make is in the vingarette, I omit, and does my friend, the dijon mustard. It just tastes lighter, and fresher, without it. Trust me the fresh orange juice, good quality EVOO, and zest and seasoning is all this dressing needs, for this very flavorful dressing. Serve in on the side, that way any leftovers don't get soggy.
Roasted Beet-And-Sugared Walnut Salad With Orange Vinaigrette
- 1 cup walnut halves
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 6 large fresh beets with tops
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 oranges, peeled and sectioned
- Orange Vinaigrette
- 5 cups mixed salad greens, torn
- Combine first 3 ingredients; place in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Bake at 275° for 40 to 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes. Cool and set aside.
- Cut tops from beets; slice tops, and set aside. Peel beets, and cut into wedges.
- Toss together beet wedges, olive oil, salt, and pepper; place in a 15- x 10-inch jellyroll pan.
- Bake at 400°, stirring occasionally, 35 to 45 minutes or until tender. Toss with orange sections and half of Orange Vinaigrette.
- Combine mixed salad greens and sliced beet tops; toss with remaining dressing. Arrange on individual serving plates; top with beets and oranges, and sprinkle with walnuts.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Salads