1. Position a rack in the lower third of an oven and preheat to 375 degrees F.
2. Cut the top off each pumpkin about 1" below the stem. Reserve the tops to use as lids during roasting.
3. Using a spoon, scrape out the seeds and discard. Place the pumpkins in a heavy roasting pan.
4. In a small bowl, whisk together the maple syrup and butter until smooth.
5. Divide the butter mixture among the pumpkin cavities, sprinkling with the thyme, and season with salt and pepper.
6. Cover each pumpkin with its lid. Roast until a knife easily pierces the flesh, about 45 minutes.
7. Using a spoon, scrape the flesh away from the skin but keep it within the pumpkin shell, then stir with the maple butter and accumulated juices to form a puree-like consistency.
Go to full version of