I made this salad for a dinner party over the XMas season. It was VERY well received. I never had white balsamic vinegar so just used regular balsamic and the dressing worked out just fine. I did add some sliced avocados and sliced red pepper to the salad, but otherwise, I pretty well followed the recipe. I tossed the salad with half the dressing, half the marinated beets, and half the toasted pecans. Then I sprinkled the remaining beets, pecans, and cheese over the salad. I served the remaining dressing on the side. I will definitely make this again.
Roasted Baby Beet Salad
Photo: Beth Dreiling Hontzas; Styling: Amy Burke
Trim the tops, but leave part of the stems to ensure the colorful pigment remains inside the beet during roasting.
Yield: Makes 6 servings
More From Southern Living
1 Hour, 35 Minutes
- 2 pounds assorted baby beets with tops
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Brown Sugar Vinaigrette
- 5 cups loosely packed baby lettuces
- 1 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- 1 cup lightly salted roasted pecan halves
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°. Trim beet tops to 1/2 inch; gently wash beets. Place beets in a single layer in a shallow baking pan; drizzle with oil, tossing gently to coat. Cover pan tightly with aluminum foil.
- 2. Bake at 400° for 40 minutes or until tender. Transfer to a wire rack, and let cool 30 minutes.
- 3. Peel beets, and cut in half. Gently toss beets with 1/3 cup Brown Sugar Vinaigrette. Arrange lettuces on a serving platter. Top with beet mixture, Gorgonzola cheese, and pecans; serve with remaining Brown Sugar Vinaigrette.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Salads